Sunday, February 15, 2009

Old...

The husband and I have been discussing our inevitable and downward spiral into true adulthood. Given, we've been "adults" for years, but we've been able to avoid acting like it in some respects. I think we've finally hit the wall. Anthony is 31, and I hit the big 3-0 in a couple of months. Believe me, I'm milking the fact that for a little while, he's 1 1/2 years older than I am. So here we are, two (almost) 30-somethings, and we have begun to embrace all that our ages entail. Such as:



1. We have a child. He is the reason for this blog, after all. (Although now, I also use it as my therapy.) I hope that we are responsible enough to be good examples for this guy.

2. I have a multitude of gray hairs. It's ridiculous...I have to give a shout-out to my friend Katie W. who has saved my life and my budget by introducing me to Clairol Root Touch-Up. For around $7, I can pretend I'm younger for 3 wks at a time.



3. Valentine's Day was not spent at a romantic, candle-light dinner. Instead, I received shopping money (which I wanted) in an office, letterhead envelope. I gave him a black and white print of Will Clark and Rafael Palmeiro. Nothing says love like money and photographs. Sad thing is, we were both happy.

P.S. We also went to sleep at 10:00. Yep, 10:00.

4. We drink coffee. I've always liked coffee, but I've never been a regular drinker until the past couple of years. Now that Sam is here, my need for caffeine is even greater. And yes, I'm the girl who orders the non-fat latte but still gets whip cream. Deal with it.



5. We now go to early church. You know, that service that starts at 8:40 in the morning? The one most people sleep through? We're now up with the early-risers so that we can get some religion while not upsetting Sam's nap schedule. We are out of church and eating brunch when the rest of the world is showering. Yes, I said brunch...yet another sign we're getting older.


6. After eating brunch, we head to the grocery store. Sunday is a big day for us. Church, brunch, grocery-shopping. We're so domestic.

7. At the grocery store we buy this:


Do I really have to explain how this makes us old?

8. I clip coupons. I love going through the Sunday paper and seeing what discounts are available.

9. Words like school, tuition, and Mother's Morning Out, are now thrown around all the time. How ridiculous is it that my child is almost 9 months old, and we've got to get on a waiting list for MMO? Also, those programs don't really advertise. I found out about a few by word of mouth. I've already visited one at our church, and I'm investigating another on Tuesday. I mean, really? Is it necessary for me to be so obsessive about a 3 hour block of my child's time? Did this happen to anyone else? Please tell me it's not just me.

10. The cereal we eat for breakfast no longer has prizes in it. Cookie Crisp has been ousted by Raisin Bran Crunch.


So there you have it. There are many more reasons, but I'm afraid I would embarass myself and my husband more than I already have. Tell me if I missed anything. I'd love to know when you knew you were officially old.

8 comments:

The Segrest Family said...

its not just you! i promise =)

and we have that cute outfit that sam is sporting! i love it!!!!! chad hates it... i actually mentioned it in a recent post of mine =)
sam is such a hunk

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

funny, alli!

You might have just inspired me to deal with my grays. they are really getting out of hand--not only making me feel old but also making me look old to the general public.

AND, Lizbeth and I laughed out loud about your very english teacher comment about Mr. Pooter Man at the park. We reread the sentence and I believe there are no unclear antecedents. What do you think?

The Segrest Family said...

can i get an AMEN!!! i agree...
they are only little boys for so long!!!!! and they look so stinkin cute! they will be wearing jeans and fratty t-shirts way too soon..
somedays, chad is okay with it =)
he has gotten much better with nash
and im sure chad thinks the outfit is cute on any other child but ours=) like sam!
love it for sure.

theelliottfamily said...

Wait until you have #2. You will start walking with a cane.

Katie said...

All hail the root touch up! Did it last night!

Unknown said...

Re: your comment...
I'll bring the red wine! Did I mention that I've already ordered the special edition DVD off of Amazon with deleted scenes? Yeah, I did.

Katie said...

Alli: Can I get a Grande Mocha with whipped cream and non-fat milk?

Starbucks lady: It's not non-fat if you get whipped cream.

(lots of cursing and daring the starbucks lady to say anything else)

Alli: I know, but I still want whipped cream.
(more cursing)

Katie said...

As far as MMO: try a 2 year wait list and the director only talking to the dads on the phone instead of the moms.