Monday, February 9, 2009

My Friday...

5:15--See a commercial for Dairy Queen cakes on sale for Valentine's Day. Hmmm....

5:30--Husband arrives home and asks me what I want for supper. Reply (half-jokingly) that I wouldn't mind eating a whole DQ ice cream cake in bed while watching The Office on DVD. Husband agrees. People who know us won't be surprised by this decision.

6:00--Load up child in car and proceed to the nearest DQ...which is in Ridgeland.

6:20--Arrive at the greatest fast-food restaurant ever. Husband goes inside. Immediately comes back out. Tells me that they only have huge cakes available. We think for a minute. Isn't there a Baskin Robbins right around the corner? Yep. Decide to go through drive-through at Dairy Queen, get cheeseburgers, then investigate the availability of the elusive ice cream cake at BR.

6:30--Head to 31 flavors. Park car. Husband goes inside.

6:32--Cell phone rings. The report is positive. Not only do they have small ice cream cakes available, but there are flavor choices. We narrow it down to mint-chocolate chip with devil's food cake, cookies 'n' cream with white cake, and pralines 'n' cream with white cake. I leave the decision to him.

6:42--Husband emerges with cake in hand. I think the heavens break open and rejoice with us.


6:43--Husband gets in car and hands me the cake. I'm laughing at how ridiculous we are for going to all of this trouble for a sweet-fix. He responds, "It's about to get funnier. Open up the box." I did. This is what I saw:

No, it's not Sam's birthday. Apparently, the guy at Baskin Robbins assumed that we were there for a last minute birthday cake. I guess he doesn't run into too many people who buy cakes without an occasion to celebrate. Anyway, Anthony took the cake up to the register, and the nice Indian man got out all of his piping equipment and said,

"Boy or Girl?"

Anthony, confused, responded, "Boy."

"Happy Birthday, yes?"

"Umm..sure."

And that is how Sam got a birthday cake 4 months too early.

FYI: We got the cookies 'n' cream, and it was soooo worth it. De-lish.

4 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT STORY! that totally sounds like something i would do for ice cream. or anything sweet for that matter. love it.

The Segrest Family said...

LOVE THIS! would do it too...

Katie said...

YUMMY! Ice cream cake is the best thing in the world!

Gracie said...

number one....where was the dairy queen when I lived in Madison!! I always wished we had one there.

number two...I can totally see you and Anthony doing this and I am laughing out loud. Too funny.