Sunday, February 22, 2009

How do I love thee?

...Let me count the ways.

I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight...

All apologies to Mrs. Browning, but I'm not talking about love. Well, not romantic love. I'm talking about the love I have for a small device called tivo. Let me tell you people--if you enjoy a good television show, (and I happen to enjoy several television shows) and if you plan to have children, there are two things you must own : a tivo and a good pair of rubber gloves. Let me explain.

Anthony and I watch a lot of television. I should be ashamed of myself, but I figure that all the reading I do cancels out the mind-numbing effects of television viewing. That's my rationalization, anyway. Our tv schedule looks something like this:

(* indicates a show that only I watch)
Sunday--The Amazing Race, True Blood*/Entourage during the summer and fall
Monday--House, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory
Tuesday--The Biggest Loser, Fringe *, Greek
Wednesday--Lost* Top Chef (or whatever Bravo! show is on)
Thursday--Bones, The Office, Supernatural* 30 Rock (occasionally)
Friday--none
Saturday--none

It's a lot of boob tube; I know. This is where our friend tivo comes in. Now that we have Sam, we obviously can't drop everything to catch a show. No problem--tivo takes care of it. Also, I watch a lot of sci-fi stuff that Anthony hates, so tivo helps me out. I wait until Sam's nap, and I can catch up on a show while folding clothes or cleaning up. If you don't have one of these magical devices, and you have a baby on the way, RUN (waddle) to a store and purchase one now.

Item #2 on your must buy list--a good pair of rubber gloves. Everyone will tell you all the items you've "got to have" if you have a baby--wipe warmer, baby sling, bottle warmer, etc. Well, no one told me about the need for gloves. When you have children, your dish-washing time goes way, way up. I wash bottles and sippee cups at least twice a day, and I use super hot water. It was wreaking complete havoc on my hands, and I was afraid I would end up looking like Madonna:

So, I invested in gloves. I suggest you do, too. I mean, check out her hands. It's nuts.

Lastly, an obligatory Sam shot. I know that's really why you're here.

If you need a recommendation for a super-sturdy dishwasher, I can give you that, too.

1 comments:

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

hahaha! I suppose Madonna's age is truly showing on her hands...

love the dishwasher picture! I laughed out loud!