Thursday, August 27, 2009

Just call me Julia...

Hold on to your apron strings. Yesterday some friends and I headed out to the new Viking Cooking School in Ridgeland to take a pasta-making class. 3 letters--F-U-N. The class lasted 3 hours, and by the time we finished, I FINALLY knew how to properly chop onions and tomatoes. I have had an epic struggle with my cutting board for years, so this was a huge accomplishment for me. I can also throw around terms like "chiffonade" like it's my job. Fancy schmancy, right?

Aprons on and ready to go
Knocking out some homemade farfalle pasta. That's bowtie pasta to all you culinary laymen.
Yes, it looks homemade. That's because it is.
Fresh mozzarella, basil, and tomato to go with our farfalle. Delish. (And I don't even like tomatoes.)
My friends showing off their knife skills.
Attempting to cut a tomato properly.
Isn't the kitchen gorgeous? I think I'll put it on my Christmas list.
Homemade ravioli with goat cheese and herb filling. I could have eaten the filling by itself.
The finished spread: Farfalle with Fresh Mozzarella, Basil, and Vine-Ripe Tomatoes
Linguine with Peas and Feta
Goat Cheese and Arugula Ravioli with Tomato-Pancetta Butter
My plating technique leaves something to be desired, but it's not like I'm on Top Chef or anything.
After cooking our meal, we sat down and enjoyed our food with a glass of wine. How very European of us. I know one thing--I will be going back. I want to take one of their cookie classes, and I'd love for a group to go to their date-night.
Bellissimo!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

FUN!!! I want to go.