Friday, August 7, 2009

Don't you forget about me...

"Dear Mr. Vernon: We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it was we did wrong. And what we did was wrong. But we think you're crazy to make us write an essay telling you who we think we are. What do you care? You see us as you want to see us."

I don't usually blog about current events, but I felt I would be remiss if I didn't talk about John Hughes' passing. This man wrote and directed some of my favorite movies of all time--Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Pretty In Pink. His movies were always composed of hip, smart, and super-witty characters who did all the things that you wish you could have done in high school. Who wouldn't want to blow off school, "borrow" a fabulous car, and spend the day in Chicago with your best friends? Oh, and I forgot...completely take over some kind of an Octoberfest parade, hop on a float, and sing "Twist and Shout."

He was the original "teen movie" guy, and he did it right.

As a friend of mine said, "I hope he's entering heaven with a Judd Nelson fist pump to the air, and 'Don't You Forget About Me' playing in the background."

I couldn't agree more.


******

Last night the Sherman fam went to Fondren After Five. A friend of ours bought Brent's, the old-fashioned soda shop/drugstore that has been a Jackson establishment forever. The store was in danger of closing for good, so we were thrilled to hear he bought it.

They're doing a slight remodel, and the old cash register was set to the side. Guess who found it?

I have never in my life seen a kid who likes electronic devices as much as he does. Phones, computers, remotes, etc. He goes into a little trance and starts punching away, and he had a grand ole time with his very own scanner and register. If you go grab a milkshake and a Brent's burger any time soon, maybe Sam can ring you up.

0 comments: