Monday, August 30, 2010

Can I Get An Amen...

I'm pretty sure I complain about this every year.  Does anybody else have the trouble that I do finding something appropriate to wear to the first football game of the year?  It is such a pain, and it stresses me out every time.

For those of you who live in cool weather climates, this isn't a problem.  For the residents of the Dirty South, it's a massive issue.  I don't know about you, but I hate buying super summery stuff this late in the fall, especially when Labor Day is this weekend.  On top of that, all stores are pushing their fall/winter merchandise, which I won't be able to wear until at least October because of the heat. 

My criteria for football wear:

1.  In the heat I prefer a dress--nothing binding, lots of breathing room.
2.  Something that doesn't require "special" undergarments.  Who wants to deal with that all day?
3.  An outfit that isn't too short, but not too long.  I'm not that tall.
4.  Something that I can wear with fairly comfortable shoes, but I'm willing to sacrifice some comfort for  some cuteness.
5.  And the kicker for this week--they've asked MSU fans to wear white.  Since I'm chasing Sam at the tailgate, I can't even go into the game, but I'd like to at least try to be in the spirit.  I'm hoping cream will count, because it's all I've got.

Next week they're asking for people to wear maroon, which is a whole 'nother bag of tricks.  I wish other schools knew how good they have it when trying to buy something cute in their respective colors. 

Blue? Easy.  Red? Beyond easy.  Purple? Not quite as easy, but doable.

Maroon?  Wow.  Just wow.  I usually end up in something magenta and call it a day.

If anyone out there has some secret football-wear store, fess up.  And don't tell me to wear a jersey with jeans.  Homegirl doesn't do that. 

Hail State!

7 comments:

The Segrest Family said...

Hey!
reading your post (and agreed - it's ridiculously hot the first few games of the season!), I remembered seeing this post on Kelly's Korner blog:
http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/2010/08/game-day.html
Don't know what is on there for State, but worth a look!
Good luck!

Unknown said...

one of my former baylor cheerleaders has a company called http://www.campusandgreekcouture.com/index.php
but also Target right now has a good bit of maroon/ burgundy...so hard to get it right...you are right! :)
good luck!
maybe we'll bump into each other.
ej williams

Frank and Ginger said...

love it! you nailed it.... it is so hard! aren't we supposed to be passed this at our age?!

The Stringers said...

I would love to feel sorry for you, BUT... I've been told that if I don't wear ORANGE to EVERY clemson game this season that it will be unforgivable!

Orange and I are not friends.

Unknown said...

Damn it. This is the first I've heard of the wearing white thing. Do you know how large my pregnant self will look in WHITE? It's not going to happen.

The Shermans said...

I agree-orange can be a difficult color to pull off.

And Sadler, the last I saw of you, you were still tiny.

Gracie said...

I am in agreement, wearing cream too and hoping it will work, and most importantly, I can't wait to see you and Sam!!!