Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"If You're Going to San Francisco..."

"...be sure to wear some flowers in your hair."

Silverado Winery
The husband and I just got back from a first-time trip to San Francisco and the wine country. One word--awesome. You must go. Seriously. You. Have. To. Go.

We had a great time, and I'm almost positive that I'm not going to do our trip any justice, but I'll give it my best shot.

We flew out with some friends of ours last Wednesday morning, and we landed in sunny California around noon CA time. What I didn't completely understand was that San Francisco shouldn't really count as California because it was chilly with a capital "C." It was a cool 66 with a breeze. That sounds lovely when you've been in 100 degree heat, but it also meant I had to buy a few sweaters that won't be worn in MS until about October. That's okay...I'll forget I bought them, and when I drag out my fall clothes they will be a nice little surprise.

Anyway, we spent most of Wednesday tooling around Union Square and the Financial district. There was lots of good shopping, but I managed to not go overboard. Gluttony is my own personal 7th deadly sin, (food+clothes) so I have to watch it.

We found a neat little bar right down from our hotel and proceeded to make nice with the bartender. I'm pretty sure we dropped by the Cantina everyday. (FYI--they had great drinks.)


Thursday was spent at the Golden Gate Bridge, Haight & Ashbury, and the Castro district. I managed to flip out while on the bridge, turn around, and power-walk/run back to "safe" ground. I definitely looked like an idiot, but I didn't care. It was just too much--too high, too loud, too much water, and did I mention the fact that it's a bridge?

I wasn't exactly on the bridge in this picture, which is why I'm still smiling.

Haight & Ashbury was just what I thought it would be, and I don't know that I'll ever bother going back there. Some loyal Deadheads will probably freak at my saying that. Sorry.

That night we ate at an awesome sushi joint called Mas Sake. I would kill for a Master Hugo roll right about now. To die for. After sushi we kicked it old school at Harry Denton's Starlight Room. I would love to go back there--posh, posh, interior, waitresses in floor-length dresses, and a beautiful view of the city.

Friday was EASILY my favorite, and I WILL go back. On Friday, we had a limo come pick up the 6 of us, and we headed to Napa Valley. The place is absolutely gorgeous. Everything is manicured, and wildflowers pop up out of nowhere. It was also much warmer in the valley than it was in San Francisco, so I didn't have to wear a cardigan for the first time the whole trip. We went to 2 wineries--Silverado and Sterling, and enjoyed a glass or two (or 3, or 4, or 5) of wine. They were having a "sale" at Sterling, so each of us came home with a case of wine.

On our way to Napa


At Sterling

At Brix

Silverado

Friday night we went to a real-deal speakeasy called Bourbon & Branch. I wish I hadn't been so tired; I know I would have enjoyed it even more. I would definitely suggest hitting this place if you're planning a trip to San Fran. You make a reservation ahead of time, and they send you a password. The place itself is totally nondescript from the outside. Once you're buzzed in, you're taken through a door that looks like a bookshelf. It's too neat to even explain, so I've linked it.


Saturday was spent doing some more sight-seeing/touristy things. Dinner that night was at The Slanted Door. I could probably eat there every day of my life. Yummy, yummy, yummy.

I'm pretty sure I left out lots of things about our visit, but that's the gist of it. All I know is that by Friday, I was DYING to see Sam. I'm pretty sure Anthony thought I was going to take an earlier flight and leave him. (He's not too far from the truth.)


I realize that this is a pretty rushed account of an awesome vacation. I apologize ahead of time for my slaphazard outline.

5 comments:

Laura @ Our Messy Messy Life said...

sounds like a great trip. San Francisco is one of my favorite cities and Napa really is beautiful!! I'm jealous!

Anisa said...

Hi Alli and Anthony,

I love keeping up with your blog! Thanks especially for this post - we leave Saturday for a week in San Fran (both of us for the first time). I'll definitely be hitting up some of these places!

~Anisa

Forrest and Elizabeth Williams said...

We LOVE San Francisco!
It holds a special place in our heart since we went there on our honeymoon. ;) We've been back twice I think and def. plan to go again. Napa is awesome. We took the bus tour and probably went to 6 or so wineries--so relaxing.
Glad ya'll had fun! :)
ejwilliams

The Trustys said...

We are going to San Fran and Big Sur in September. I'm going to have to jot down some of your tips. Looks beautiful and I can't wait to go!!!!!!!!!

Gracie said...

I am so jealous!! It looks like yall had a blast. San Fran has always been somewhere I've wanted to go.