Sunday, March 1, 2009

Buzzed, among other things...

We slept in this morning. We have been going to the 8:40 service in order to accommodate Sam's naps a little better, but since he graciously let us sleep until 8:00 a.m., early church was out of the question. No problem--we'll go to Sunday School then the regular service. Should be a breeze, right? However, Sam is having some serious attachment issues right now. He absolutely loses his mind and throws a humongous fit if we try to leave him with people he doesn't know--like the nursery ladies.

I took him into the nursery, and he immediately started clinging to me. I hate to leave him, but it's no longer easy to have him with us in the sanctuary. He makes it difficult for anyone to pay attention to the service. Anyway, I signed him in, took a beeper, and left. He started wailing. Soooo sad. I took a deep breath and went on down the hall to Sunday School. Just when I thought all was going well, the beeper begins to vibrate. I got within 15 ft. of the nursery, and I knew why I had been buzzed. The kid was throwing the mother of all tantrums. Red faced, snotty nose, tears streaming down his eyes, the works. His antics were making the other babies cry. It was chaos. I know those ladies hate to see us come in the door. I imagine that they use paper-rock-scissors to decide who has to deal with Sam.

Anthony came in a few minutes later, and we decided to keep Sam with us during church. I should have known that things weren't going to go well when we walked into the sanctuary and Sam started going, "oooma, oooma," over and over again. He loved the echo--just as pleased as punch with himself. Of course, it was super crowded today because it's the first Sunday of Lent. I would like to think most people are understanding about a baby being loud in church, but I also know there are people who get really irritated. Sam forced us to make an early exit. Oh, well.

I know that lots of children do this, but if anyone out there has advice about separation anxiety, I'd appreciate it. It's making my life slightly difficult.

On another note, what is with this stupid weather? On Wednesday, my child wore shorts and knee socks; (see pictures) today he was bundled up like an Eskimo. March=baseball=baseball weather=sunshine and fresh cut grass=BBQ. That is the natural order of things. Anything else is
just wrong.

Told you he wore shorts.

Before Ash Wednesday services

His legs are so chunky the socks almost cut off circulation. He needs a bigger size.

4 comments:

The Segrest Family said...

he looks like such a big boy in his socks and walkers!!! growing up too fast...

The Trustys said...

If it gives you any comfort, Morgan HATES the church nursery and has from day 1. She goes to daycare every day with no problem, but something about the church nursery sets that child off. I have no words of wisdom other than to just keep it a part of your routine. Morgan wails when I drop her off, but she quits eventually. Yesterday, they had to give her a paci and put her in the swing! Yes, a 16 month old in a swing! She looked ridiculous.

The Menetres said...

So precious!! I think he is starting to look like you a little!!

Katie said...

It's just a phase, Alli. Think about it, he's home with you all day every day. Sophie went through the same thing. It took 2 good weeks for her to not cry when I dropped her off at mother's day out. He'll get used to it, you just have to keep trying. You can't blame them when they're with us ALL the time. I mean, who wouldn't want to be with us all the time?