Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Puff Daddy to P. Diddy...

Prince, to "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince," then back to Prince.

What am I talking about?

Name changing.

When I first found out I was pregnant with Sam, the grandparents began concentrating on the super-important-life-or-death task of.....deciding what they would be called.


For my father, he decided on "Grandy."
My mother decided to be "Mimi," which is what we called her mother.
My father-in-law picked out "Papa" as his moniker.

My mother-in-law? Well, she wavered. A lot. It's been a running joke for a while now. After many sleepless nights, she settled on "Gammy." We have referred to her as "Gammy" for the past 20 months, but it appears that we will have one final name change. Sam has a pretty big vocabulary, and I realize that sounds like bragging, which I guess it is, but whatever. This is my blog, so I can brag all I want. Anyway, he can say/recognize a ton of different words, but he absolutely refuses to say "Gammy." (He won't say "Mimi," either--we're working on it, Mom.)

This is where some Lebanese background info is needed. The Lebanese word for grandmother is "Siti." I have no idea how it's spelled because I always see different variations. Anthony and I thought it'd be a great grandmother name, but MP wasn't so sure. (She was worried that he might call her something like "Siti" but with the "Sh" sound. You get my drift.) Last week we asked Sam if he could say "Siti." He smiled and said, "Sissy." If you ask him her name, he responds with "Sissy." I am so glad that we have a solidified name after almost 30 months of debate. The entire family can rest easy.


Now we just have to figure out what he wants to call my mother. Sigh.


In other news, Sam hit a bunch of buttons on the remote and almost bought some really dirty movies on pay-per-view. That would have been really fun to explain to the husband.

2 comments:

Laura said...

My dad wanted "Grandpa" and Jason's mom wanted "Grandma", but AP called the "Peepaw" and "Meemaw" for what seemed like forever. Jason's mom kept saying that she could call her whatever she wanted. I refused. She was probably 2 1/2 before she got the G down. Even now, she says Lod instead of God.

Amy said...

Chris' mom wanted to be called "Mamaw" but Jack has always called her "Money". I have no idea where he came up with this and it's a little strange but he refuses to call her anything else.

Amy