Thursday, May 21, 2009

To My First Son...

Cradle Song
by Alfred Lord Tennyson

What does little birdie say
In her nest at peep of day?
Let me fly, says little birdie,
Mother, let me fly away.
Birdie, rest a little longer,
Till thy little wings are stronger.
So she rests a little longer,
Then she flies away.

What does little baby say,
In her bed at peep of day?
Baby says, like little birdie,
Let me rise and fly away.
Baby, sleep a little longer,
Till thy little limbs are stronger.
If she sleeps a little longer,
Baby too shall fly away.


Dear Sam,


Time is defined by the important moments in a person's life. Before a big event such as a marriage or a birth, one counts down the days, and each minute feels like an eternity. Afterwards, it seems that the seconds fly by. As cliche' as it is, I cannot believe that an entire year has passed since your arrival. You have blessed us simply by being here, and I hope that no matter what, you will never forget how much your father and I love you. You have been pure joy since your arrival on May 21, 2008. I have loved every second of getting to know you, and I look forward to watching you grow. Some of my dearest memories are rocking you to sleep and watching your long lashes droop as you nod off. When you wake in the morning, smile your dimpled smile, and say "Mama," I feel as if my heart will burst. Every time you walk into my arms, I think that I might cry with pride. Your sweet presence makes our lives richer.

We have had so many "firsts" this year, and we've already had a few "lasts." I look forward to all the other "firsts" to come, and I pray that your life will be as full and rich as mine has been. I have been a lucky, lucky girl, but having you was the luckiest moment of my life.

I love you very much,

Mom

3 comments:

The Segrest Family said...

okay. that is one of the sweetest things i have ever read! happy birthday sam!!!!!!

Sally said...

So sweet. I must say, Sam has slimmed up since I last checked your blog! My 30 lb/13 month Carter is still a whopper! We are hoping walking is going to help!

Gracie said...

So that made me tear up!!! So sweet!!! Happy Birthday Sam!! I miss you guys!!