Thursday, February 10, 2011

New love...

In honor of Valentine's Day, I'd like to discuss my new love--sewing. 

I probably didn't own a store-bought dress until I was about 15.  Until that point, my grandmother or my aunt made every single "Sunday dress" that I ever wore.  There is absolutely no telling how many hours they must have spent sewing flouncy little dresses or simple linen sheaths.  I remember how much I loved getting a package in the mail from either of them because it meant that I had something new to wear to church on Sunday.  One of my favorites was a Christmas dress that my grandmother sewed for me--it had layers of petticoats underneath to make it full, and she had sewn a jingle bell in it that made noise when I walked.  Big stuff to a 6 year-old.   

Anyway, I've always wanted to learn how to sew, but I've never had the right equipment or time.  This Christmas my parents graciously fronted the money for an extremely nice sewing & embroidering machine.  I have already taken a few classes, and I've spent hours online browsing tutorials and applique websites.  I've pretty much gotten the applique and monogramming down...I just need to save some money to buy some more fonts.  I've already made Sam several t-shirts for upcoming holidays, and I'm about to work on some baby gifts for some friends with a new little one.  I do plan on offering my services in the near future when I'm completely confident in my skills--I guess I'll start another blog solely dedicated to that, so be on the lookout if you'd like me to do some things for you.  Of course, right now most of my things are boy-oriented, because, well, I only have a boy.  I'm going to start to buy girly things soon. 


 Sam loves dump trucks, so I had to do one of those.  The "S"  is a St. Patrick's Day font that he'll be sporting at the St. Paddy's Parade. 


I love the "Peace, Love, Bulldogs." I think it's super-cute.  The other shirts are obviously for V-Day and Mardi Gras. 


My model wouldn't cooperate, so I had to settle for taking pictures of the t-shirts without someone wearing them.  Maybe next time...

10 comments:

Laurin said...

Oh, I want to learn to sew too! I just don't have time... or don't make time. I see so many things that I just know I could make if I had a few skills! My computer is bonked up so I can't see the pics but I'm sure they are so cute. I will help you out with your business when you get started! I love a good appliqued shirt. I am stressing about how to dress Lennox this summer. I'm thinking he is too old for Jon Jons... what do you think?

Amy said...

I love the dump truck shirt. Jack needs one for his construction-themed birthday party so let me know when you are ready to take orders! I have my grandmother's sewing machine and my friend is supposed to start giving me lessons soon.

Laura @ our messy messy life. said...

Very cute!! I want to learn to sew too. Can you do a bigger peace sign or is it a one size thingie?

Laurin -- Henry will still be in jonjons this summer. Without a doubt.

childsplay said...

alli that is very cute...I am so impressed but you are an artsy person! I'll help out with some orders too but I don't see Marth wearing a dump truck shirt! we are in definite need of some MSU gear though....Hope that everything is going great - we have gotten 0 snow in tally but I'm not sure if I'm jealous or not of all that ya'll gotten....

childsplay said...

...and Laurin, Henry will be in jonjons this summer b/c he probably still fits in the ones he wore last summer....

The Shermans said...

Laurin--Sam will be in Jon- Jons until he tells me that he refuses to wear them. I plan on tackling those soon.

Laura--I'm pretty sure it can be bigger. I'll have to look though- sometimes when I resize a design it doesn't embroider as nicely. Other times it's fine.

Amy-- when's jack's b-day?

Laurin said...

Ha! Ok, I will reconsider the jon jons. I will have to run it by Lennox though b/c I tried to dress him in a (very precious) one piece longall for church and he ran away crying and screaming saying "NO!! I can't like to wear that!!!" Then he crouched in the corner so I couldn't put it on him :(

Maybe Henry just knows his mom likes a deal, that's why he is staying in the same size clothes?!

Laura @ our messy messy life. said...

Lizbeth is wrong. Last summer was spent in the previous summer's jonjons. He needs new ones to last the next two summers.

Well, I definitely want some peace signs for my babies!

Amy said...

His birthday is April 20.

Laura said...

So cute! If you want to practice on some more girls' designs. I know two girls who would love to wear them. :)