Saturday, June 12, 2010

VBS...

So this past week I volunteered at our church to help with Vacation Bible School.  Sam isn't quite old enough, but they had the nursery open for him, and the fab nursery staff did all kinds of fun activities with him.  He had a great time.  I had a learning experience. 

I thought when I said "volunteer" I'd be putting out snacks or helping with arts and crafts.  Wrong.  I got my assignment last Sunday night--4 year olds.  Then I looked at my roster--they weren't quite 4 yet...almost all of them were rising 4 year olds.  Big difference, people.  Okay, no big deal.  I can deal with 4 year olds, right? Until I saw that on Monday we would be short handed and that I would be handling 8 little tots completely on my on.  That's when I got a little nervous. 

Here's what I found out this week.

1.  There are some super cute kids in this world.
2.  There are also some super difficult kids in this world. 
3.  The super difficult child will intentionally ignore you.  You will spend the majority of the time chasing this   child thereby making it hard to enjoy the others.
4.  Keeping 8 4 year olds together is a lot like herding cats.
5.  Primary school teachers deserve a WHOLE lot more respect.  There's a reason I taught high school.
6.  You know farmer tans?  There's such a thing as a VBS playground tan.
7.  Lisps are pretty endearing. 
8.  Remember the difficult child?  Well, he decided to pour dirt and glitter into my Tory Burch handbag when I wasn't looking. Cleaning that out was not fun.

1 comments:

The Trustys said...

Girl.... I am with you. We had to switch our children's church assignment this week and switched with the 4/5 parents instead of someone from Morgan's 2/3 class. Matt and I did NOT know what to do. We had 12 4-5 year old kids - they were locking each other in the toy kitchen refrigerator, building castles with these large matted blocks then sticking another kid in there and not letting them out, all the while there are about 4 extremely calm kids sitting in a corner coloring. It was an experience I was not ready for.